And now, for your enjoyment, some happenings from Leap Days past:
- 1504 - Christopher Columbus uses his knowledge of a lunar eclipse that night to convince Native Americans to provide him with supplies.
- 1712 - Feb. 29 is followed by Feb. 30 in Sweden, in a move to abolish the Swedish calendar.
- 1916 - In South Carolina, the minimum working age for factory, mill, and mine workers is raised from 12 to 14 years old.
- 1940 - For her role as Mammy in Gone with the Wind, Hattie McDaniel becomes the first African-American to win an Academy Award.
- 1960 - An earthquake in Morocco kills more than 3,000 people and nearly destroys Agadir in the southern part of the country.
- 2000 - Six-year-old Dedrick Owens shoots and kills Kayla Rolland, also 6 years old, at Theo J. Buell Elementary School in Mount Morris Township, Mich.